The Frankfurt Zoological Society (FZS) was established in 1858 and is an internationally operating conservation organisation based in Frankfurt/Main. The Society’s main focus lies in eastern Africa, where our long-serving president, Professor Dr. Bernhard Grzimek invested much time and effort.
The Society is an independent, non-profit organisation. Our projects are financed through membership fees, private donations and bequests as well as from investment returns from the “Help for Threatened Wildlife” Foundation. Financial support also comes from third-party funds such as other foundations and charitable trusts.
Our work is committed to conserving biological diversity. FZS is therefore faced with one of the greatest challenges of the 21st century: the preservation of the world’s natural environments.
FZS is momentarily involved in 70 conservation projects in 30 countries. Although the society’s main purpose is global nature conservation, it also supports the Frankfurt Zoological Garden, which was initiated 150 years ago by the Frankfurt Zoological Society.
- Logistical support of National Parks and other Conservation Areas worldwide
- Assisting public authorities and other organisations in the establishment and implementation of conservation areas
- Advising government agencies in conservation queries
- Financing and assisting animal census surveys
- Individual protection programmes for highly endangered species
- Reintroduction programmes for endangered species
- Conservation education
- Land acquisition to secure valuable habitats for flora and fauna
- Protection and regeneration of natural landscapes
All of our projects are overseen by either our own staff or colleagues from reliable local organisations. All projects work closely with the local administrators and government agencies together. We monitor as a matter of principle the utilisation of all resources provided and regularly control and evaluate the projects.
The Frankfurt Zoological Society was founded in 1858 by Frankfurt citizens with the aim of establishing a zoo. Up until the First World War, FZS was the operating body of the Zoo and after the war the city council took over the Zoo’s management. In 1950 the Society re-established as the Zoo’s development association. Due to Bernhard and Michael Grzimek’s animal surveys in the Serengeti in the mid 1950’s, nature conservation became the secondary focus of support for the Society. Initial donations went towards the development of national parks in Africa. From that point onwards, FZS has made it its aim to protect and preserve endangered environments and animals the world over. The Frankfurt Zoological Society – Grzimeks “Help for Threatened Wildlife” is an acknowledged Conservation Organisation by law §58 of the Federal Nature Conservation Act.